[Radiance-general] 5-phase method tutorial - section 6.1

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 15:43:23 PDT 2013

Hi Leyla,

I was thinking someone else might answer this one, as a lot of folks have worked on similar things, but here goes...

Figuring out Radiance "trans" parameters is a classic challenge, and there are a few spreadsheets out there to make this a bit easier.  The basic reference is section 5.2.6 from "Rendering with Radiance," attached below for your convenience.  (Responders please delete attachment in your replies.)

Plugging in your parameters of:

Ts = .04
Td = .67 - .04 = .63
Rd = .18
Rs = 0 (guessing no clear reflections)

These yield:

A7 = Ts/(Td+Ts) = .04/(.63+.04) = .0597

A6 = (Td+Ts)/(Rd+Td+Ts) = (.63+.04)/(.18+.63+.04) = .7882

A5 = 0 (adjust if you want to scatter your transmitted rays a bit)

A4 = Rs = 0

A1 = A2 = A3 = .18/((1-0)*(1-A6) = .18/(1-.7882) = .85 (assumes uncolored material)

So, there's your material:

	void trans frosted_glass
	0
	0
	7 0.85 0.85 0.85 0 0 0.7882 0.0597

Regarding thickness, so long as the distance between slats is 16 cm or greater, you needn't worry about it.  If they are closer together, you may want to use the xform -a option to create your own array of slats.  It's actually pretty simple -- genblinds isn't doing that much for you with flat slats, anyway.

Cheers,
-Greg

.