[Radiance-general] rtrace direction

Andrew McNeil amcneil at lbl.gov
Mon Apr 22 10:07:16 PDT 2013

Vaib,

There is an important difference between the -i (lower case i) and -I
(capital i) in rtrace.   When -i is given, rtrace will trace a ray in the
direction given, and then will calculate the hemispherical irradiance at
the point where the ray intersects with geometry (ignoring some material
types).  With the -I command it calculates the hemispherical irradiance at
the point you specify using the direction vector as a a normal for the
imaginary surface on which irradiance is calculated.

Users typically want -I, except for specialized cases.  You should make
sure that  -i is correct for your case.

Andy