[Radiance-general] Calculate DGI with Radiance through Ecotect

Jan Wienold jan.wienold at ise.fraunhofer.de
Tue Nov 13 08:23:06 PST 2012

Hi Maria,

you can also use evalglare to evaluate glare within (fish-eye) images.
Besides DGI, it calculates also the Daylight Glare Probability DGP,
which might be a more reliable glare evaluation method than the DGI.

If you have non-fish-eye images only, it is from my point of view very
difficult to get a reliable glare evaluation since you miss parts of the
field of view.

You can download evalglare here - a short description is within the zip
file:

http://www.ise.fraunhofer.de/radiance

Jan

On 11/13/2012 05:00 PM, Maria Mandalaki wrote:
> Thanks Raphael!
> But I am not ready for that!
>
> Maria
>
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Maria Mandalaki <mamand at gmail.com
> <mailto:mamand at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks Alstan, I will check it!
>     But I hope to find an easier way to just run findglare!
>

>     Regards,
>     Maria
>

>     On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM, J. Alstan Jakubiec
>     <alstan at jakubiec.net <mailto:alstan at jakubiec.net>> wrote:
>
>         Hi Maria,
>
>         Unfortunately obtaining Windows binaries for Radiance is a bit
>         of a circuitous path. The NREL OpenStudio team maintains a
>         nice collection however which can be downloaded below,
>         https://openstudio.nrel.gov/getting-started-developer/getting-started-radiance
>
>         Best,
>         Alstan
>

>         On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:02:39 -0500, Maria Mandalaki
>         <mamand at gmail.com <mailto:mamand at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             That should be exactly the problem! Thank you a lot Raphael!
>             Yes I use radiance on windows.
>             Where can I find the Desktop Radiance 4.1? There is only
>             the 2.0 beta
>             version on the web site.
>             Can I simply  update my version (2.0 Beta version)?
>
>             Maria
>
>             On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Compagnon Raphaël <
>             Raphael.Compagnon at hefr.ch
>             <mailto:Raphael.Compagnon at hefr.ch>> wrote:
>
>                 Hi
>
>                 Apparently your are using RADIANCE on a Windows
>                 system. I have just found
>                 this sentence in the latest Radiance release note
>                 (version 4.1)
>                 http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/refer/Notes/ReleaseNotes.html#Version%204.1
>
>                 Fixed bug in findglare for reading picture files under
>                 Windows.
>
>                 I think the bug you are experiencing is exacly this
>                 one! Then you should
>                 update your Radiance software with the latest
>                 release... or start using
>                 Radiance on a Linux system.
>
>                 Hope this will help you.
>
>                 Raphaël

Dr.-Ing. Jan Wienold
Head of Team Passive Systems and Daylighting
Fraunhofer-Institut für Solare Energiesysteme
Thermal Systems and Buildings
Heidenhofstr. 2, 79110 Freiburg, Germany
Phone: +49(0)761 4588 5133 Fax:+49(0)761 4588 9133
jan.wienold at ise.fraunhofer.de
http://www.ise.fraunhofer.de

In office:
Mo,Tue: 8:30-18:00