[Radiance-general] integral of radiation in one point

Giovanni Betti gbetti at fosterandpartners.com
Tue May 8 04:42:03 PDT 2012

Dear list,

I have question that I hope you'll help get my head around.

I want to calculate the overall illuminance on a point in space that is,
regardless of directionality.

I have made some simplified 2d sketches for clarity.

As I understand a radiance sensor point in rtrace will have cosine
related sensitivity (image01)

If I am to place two coincident with opposing normals (image2) I'll miss
on contributions from the sides.

Rotating the normals by 90 degrees at a time (figure 3) and summing
contributions might not work either because will overestimate diagonal
contributions (figure 4 ).

So I'm not getting too much closer to the solution...

Is there something that I am missing here?

Any light on this will be appreciated,

Best,

Giovanni Betti