[Radiance-general] Python script

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 20 02:48:57 PDT 2012

Hi all.

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Guglielmetti, Robert <
Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov> wrote:

> I think we just need to figure out
> what the problem is with the Perl script. We have found that Genskyvec
> fails on multiple XP machines, all running ActiveState Perl. I will try
> Strawberry Perl next, but I know I'm grasping at straws here.

I played around with the script this morning and found that genskyvec
doesn't receive any input via the pipe on Windows XP. I googled around a
bit and it seems that this is a limitation of cmd.exe on Windows XP. Vista
and newer seem to work (just relying on Google here, did not test it
myself.) Some information can be found here:

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=859261

As a work around you can specify the command as

gensky 3 21 12 | perl -S genskyvec.pl

This at least solves the problem of the empty pipe. It should work in a
Python Popen command, too.

Regards,
Thomas