[Radiance-general] materials in radiance software

Axel Jacobs jacobs.axel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 12:49:53 PDT 2012

Hi Imene,

 > Multi-coloured materials are trickier and require some cal file. This
 > can be quite complicated to work out. Carsten Bauer developed some
 > mindbogglingly complicated examples for granit and other materials.
 > They were somewhere on his Radzilla web site (which is no longer
 > actively developed):
 > http://www.cb-d.de/radzilla.html
 >
 > Unfortunately, all Radzilla download have been removed because the
 > code was getting too old. I might still have the Radzilla materials on
 > my hard disk at home. I shall try to get permission from Carsten and
 > send them to you, if you like. Please contact me off-list if you are
 > interested.

Carsten has just reminded me that his fancy materials collection is
still available on radiance-online.org. He gave a presentation titled
"Designer's Radiance" at the first Radiance workshop. You can find his
material here:
http://www.radiance-online.org/radiance-workshop1/cd/Bauer/index.html
Thanks, Carsten!

What you want is the file desradaux.tar which is linked at the very
bottom of that page.

I also forgot to mention that there are some very simple examples of
material cal files in my Radiance tutorial, available from this page:
http://www.jaloxa.eu/resources/radiance/documentation/index.shtml

The examples are:
- a blue horizontal stripe across the wall
- random carpet tiles
- dust on the carpet tiles

Those examples are probably a much more accessible starting point than
Carsten's super complicated granite tiles (which I have never managed to
fully decipher)

Good luck to you.

Axel