[Radiance-general] exporation 3d model from autocad 2007 to radiance

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 2 14:02:28 PDT 2012

Imene

Lars already pointed out that AutoCAD is a bit of a closed world. Luckily
you still can download the 3DSOUT tool for the 2007 edition:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9481286&linkID=9240618

I used to do exports from AutoCAD regularly and also on quite complex
models. 3DSOUT was able to convert pretty much all ACAD entities to 3D
faces. You will have to do some optimisations on the AutoCAD model to get a
good workflow going, though. The most common approach is to sort elements
with different materials onto separate layers to assign Radiance materials
afterwards.

The 3DS model needs to be converted to Radiance. There are a number of
(free) 3D tools that can read 3DS and write OBJ. OBJ is well supported by
Radiance. Depending on the tools you are going to use you will have to do a
bit off testing to get the details like layering and scale factors right.

Regards,
Thomas