[Radiance-general] exporation 3d model from autocad 2007 to radiance

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Mon Jul 2 09:09:12 PDT 2012

Lars gave a lot of good suggestions. A couple others, while not strictly
direct-from-AutoCAD solutions:

- Thomas Bleicher's su2rad plugin for SketchUP
(http://code.google.com/p/su2rad/). This will take a SketchUP model and
convert to Radiance, with a GUI for assigning materials. Cameras (views)
are also exported as valid radiance view definitions.

- NREL's OpenStudio (http://openstudio.nrel.gov/). OpenStudio allows you
to build a whole building energy model that can be simulated with
EnergyPlus and Radiance together. You need to build the model in the
OpenStudio SketchUP plugin, but you get an energy model for free in the
deal.

Both of these tools are free and open source, as well.

Rob Guglielmetti  IESNA, LEED AP
Commercial Buildings Research Group
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
15013 Denver West Parkway MS:RSF202