[Radiance-general] evalglare with regular lens

J. Alstan Jakubiec alstan at jakubiec.net
Mon Feb 6 18:52:11 PST 2012

Dear Ery,

You can use evalglare with a regular hdr image as far as I understand it.
Jan can correct me if I'm wrong :). As Thomas notes, it is best to have
the full hemisphere image, but if you don't have such an image, you can
still get pretty good results with a couple of steps:

1. Make sure your hdr is calibrated to photometric units of cd/m2. Doyle
and Reinhart also have a pretty reasonable tutorial on doing this using
Photosphere:
http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/research/gsdsquare/Publications/HDR_II_Photosphere.pdf
2. You'll want to make sure that in the header to your HDR, it has a
Radiance view type that is pretty close to the opening angle of the camera
lens you are using. An example will be something like, "VIEW= -vtv -vh 60
-vv 40" which are some parameters I just pulled from a random
rpict-generated image on my computer. In the ideal case, your view type
would be the angular fisheye, "-vta -vh 180 -vv 180". I think that this is
automatically taken care of to some degree by Photosphere, but its worth
checking before using your images for analysis.
3. It is also useful to have an illuminance reading from the time the
photo was taken. The DGP calculations rely on total vertical eye
illuminance and contrast. Usually, the illumimance at the eye is
calculated directly from the fisheye image, but when you don't have a view
encompassing a hemisphere, you can provide the illuminance separately by
calling evalglare as, "evalglare -i VerticalEyeIllumianance file.hdr."

Best,
Alstan