[Radiance-general] UDI upper limits

Kevin Van Den Wymelenberg kevinv at uidaho.edu
Mon Dec 10 10:23:57 PST 2012

HMG research has not found an upper limit that relates to human subjective

1. Heschong, L. Heschong Mahone Group.2012. Daylight Metrics. California
Energy Commission. Publication number: CEC-500-2012-053.
2. Saxena, M. et al., 2010. 61 Flavors of Daylight. In The Climate for
Efficiency is Now. 2010 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in
Buildings. Asilomar, CA: ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in
Buildings, pp. 3.348­3.361.

Some of my human factors research has shown very high levels can be
Œpreferred¹ but does lend some support for an upper limit similar to UDI
concept.
³An upper horizontal illuminance comfort-based threshold, as required by
Daylight Saturation Percentage or Useful Daylight Illuminance metrics,
should be set between 2000-4300 lux, but must be applied with an
understanding that some individuals may prefer values as high as 5000 lux
(during some parts of the year), thus confidently identifying only the most
extreme cases as uncomfortable.² (KVDW, 2012)

1. Van Den Wymelenberg, K.G., 2012. Evaluating Human Visual Preference and
Performance in an Office Environment Using Luminance-based Metrics.
Dissertation. Seattle, WA: University of Washington. Available at:
http://www.idlboise.com/papers/KevinVanDenWymelenberg-phd.
2. Van Den Wymelenberg, K.G., Inanici, M.N. & Johnson, P.W., 2010. The
Effect of Luminance Distribution Patterns on Occupant Preference in a Daylit
Office Environment. Leukos, 7(2), pp.103­122.

I believe Mardaljevic has been considering higher alternative thresholds as
well.

Kevin Van Den Wymelenberg, PhD
Integrated Design Lab ­ Boise, Director
College of Art & Architecture, Assistant Professor
University of Idaho ­ Boise Center
www.uidaho.edu/idl

ph. 208.724.9456                    fx. 208.343.0001                    306
S. 6th Street                    Boise, ID  83702