[Radiance-general] Getting Started

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Tue Dec 4 08:19:45 PST 2012

Hi Tim,

Germán has pointed you to a great page, and of course the mailing list archives are very useful. Randolph Fritz can get you a copy of the Rendering with Radiance text, which is the rosetta stone for figuring out a lot of Radiance's underpinnings. As far as CAD you can use just about anything, but there are some tools for specific CAD programs that make life easier going from CAD, to RAD. Thomas Bleicher has the su2rad program which allows you to take a SketchUp model and convert it to a Radiance project, complete with a GUI for assigning materials and the like. The DIVA for Rhino project facilitates the use of Rhinoceros models in Radiance. OpenStudio also leverages SketchUp for geometry creation, but allows you to convert the thing to Radiance as well.

linkage:

http://code.google.com/p/su2rad/
http://diva4rhino.com
http://openstudio.nrel.gov

Rob Guglielmetti
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
Commercial Buildings Research Group
15013 Denver West Parkway MS:RSF202
Golden, CO 80401
303.275.4319