[Radiance-general] modeling an insulating glass with an integrated capillary slab

Andy McNeil amcneil at lbl.gov
Fri Apr 27 14:31:14 PDT 2012

Hi Valeria,
Trans is a quick and easy way to model this type of glazing.
You can use this widget to generate a trans material definition by entering your transmission and reflection parameters: http://gaia.lbl.gov/people/andy/public/transwidget/

However trans does not account for Fresnel effects that reduce transmission of glass at non-normal incidence angles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Amptitude_Ratios_air_to_glass.JPG).  So treat trans results with some degree of caution.

If you want to include fresnell effects and diffusion, you might consider use a glass surface and a trans surface one in front of the other.  Or you could generate a BSDF and use the new BSDF material.

Hope this helps,
Andy