[Radiance-general] Optimizing Radiance for cluster rendering

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Mon Apr 16 08:54:53 PDT 2012

Hi,

I think that binaries should be centrally located. It is not that big a
problem to load over a network for this.

Likewise I think that scene files (octrees, etc) should be centrally
located. It is just easier to manage.

I think a main problem is each process/node/core writing back image
data. This can really slow things down on the nfs server if image pieces
are being written back into one image. I think that it is better to have
each process write out its output to its own file, which can be on the
nfs server, and then assemble the pieces as a post process. Ambient
cache data can still be shared and written to by multiple processes
although I would recommend using one process to pre-populate the cache
initially. And if as Andy mentions you are using something like
rtcontrib then the shared ambient cache is a non-issue.

As far as compiler optimizations. While this could be nice, I think the
real benefit is spreading things out over the cluster... that is
hopefully where you get more opportunity to speed things up as opposed
to some incremental increase due to compiler optimization.

-Jack

--
# Jack de Valpine
# president