[Radiance-general] Optimizing Radiance for cluster rendering

Randolph M. Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Mon Apr 16 08:37:56 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-15 10:45:18 +0000, Iebele said:

> Hi All,
>
> Nobody responded to the mail below yet. In the meanwhile I tried to
> build Radiance with Intels icc compiler. Binaries compiled with icc
> (many warnings) work for a simple scene, but fail when I render complex
> scenes (Segmentation fault). So I went back to gcc compiled binaries,
> but still I wonder if somebody can give me hints on what compiler to
> use, which flags, etc..

There's some compiler interaction with the code which no-one has yet
dug into that makes icc compilation of Radiance fail for some
compilation settings.  For the moment, stick with gcc.

> Concerning the binaries, I have a question alike: would it be better to
> make a local install of the binaries for each node?

Depends on the cluster.  I suspect not much, though; the program
binaries are going to be cached in RAM in the nodes.

--
Randolph M. Fritz