[Radiance-general] Converting files

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sat Sep 3 00:59:50 PDT 2011

Hi Rachelle,

I have exported from Vectorworks some years ago. Vectorworks supports a
bunch of 3d formats, so this used to be no problem. As far as I know,
unfortunately, there is no support for wavefront obj. So you should try
either to export

1) 3ds, which can be converted to mgf (using 3ds2mgf) and then to rad
(mgf2rad)

2) dxf, which can be converted to rad using Georg Mischler's dxf2rad
(available at http://www.schorsch.com/en/download/dxf2rad/ )

There is also IGES-support in Vectorworks, so it may be an option to
store all model data in IGES (which is a full 3d CAD standard, so the
models are not a mess of triangles but keep all the information) and
develop a toolchain to integrate IGES into your Radiance environment.
There is IGES-support in a wide range of open-source, scripteable tools now.

Cheers, Lars.