[Radiance-general] Converting files

Randolph M. Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Fri Sep 2 13:48:43 PDT 2011

Rachelle,

I think I'd put the question to Vectorworks support: it may be a FAQ
for them.  Here's a few thoughts off the top of my head, but more
questions than answers, I fear.

Radiance accepts input in its own surface model format, which is
relatively straightforward.  Radiance also supports import from the old
Alias|Wavefront ("obj") format, which unfortunately does not seem to be
supported by Vectorworks.  You will have to do your own material format
conversions; the material models used by rasterizing renderers are of
limited value in physically-based rendering and simulation.

To convert geometry, you would have to go through some intermediary
program, either a conversion tool, another CAD system, or a home-brew
Vectorworks script.  SketchUp Pro is just about the only CAD system
choice I can think of on Mac--it works, but can produce messy geometry
and may have problems with some complex curved geometries.  If you have
any Windows systems around, it appears that there are a number of
converter choices: 3D Object Converter (claims to directly support
Radiance format), Quick3D, AccuTrans, PolyTrans, and so on.  Rhino is
an excellent Windows CAD tool generally and relatively inexpensive.

Let us know what you end up doing!

Randolph

On 2011-09-02 12:31:28 -0700, Rachelle Lemieux said:

> I would really like to get into using Radiance software for daylighting
> purposes, however am unsure how to convert files to use with the
> software. Currently our office uses Vectorworks  (we are a MAC based
> office), and we would like to convert 3D models to use for daylighting
> studies with Radiance software. I am unsure how to convert to a file
> that Radiance can use. Are you aware of how I can explore the file?
> Have others ran into this issue before? I have heard people have used
> sketchup models to be used with Radiance.

To use

--
Randolph