[Radiance-general] Executing gen_dc, gen_directsunlight on multiple processors

Jan Wienold jan.wienold at ise.fraunhofer.de
Thu Sep 1 12:19:45 PDT 2011

Hi Mostapha,

the -n option for multiple-core usage as it is implemented into rtrace
is not working for rtrace_dc. In the (still unofficial) version of
rtrace_dc of daysim 3.1, the -n  is supported but unfortunately does not
have any impact on the calculation speed... :-( . I've tested that
already. So with the current version it doesn't make sense to use this
option and block the other cores.
Maybe a later version supports this option.

Christoph: An ambient file is not necessary for -n.

By the way, does anybody know, if there is a limit for the -n option in
rtrace?
I tested it on my new 48(!!) core machine, but couldn't use more than 9
cores, the other processes are existent  but don't use any cpu-time....

Jan