[Radiance-general] Running multiple rpict commands for different scenes

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Wed May 18 05:15:08 PDT 2011

Hi Sotiris,

There are several things that you are going to have to figure out in
order to take advantage of the compute resources available at your
university. Hopefully there is some administrative support that can
provide some basic advice. But I think that you will need to figure out
the following, and this is likely not going to be an fast learning curve
unless you are accustomed to working with this type of system and the
scripting that will likely be involved. It will take some trial and
error, but once you get it figured out it will probably be well worth
the effort to have such a resource available.

   1. You will need to figure out how you need to install your
      application (Radiance) to make it accessible to the cluster.
   2. You will need to figure out how to script radiance to to make the
      scene changes that are needed. This might involve some selection
      of: make, csh, perl, python or whatever other scripting language
      you enjoy. I think that it may also be possible to control through
      Matlab/Octave (see
      http://web.mac.com/geotrupes/iWeb/Main%20site/RadBlog/E549E7F4-6DA2-4D78-8F91-74A4691ED86A.html
      at Giulio Antonutto's site). If the only variation in your scene
      is going to be the orientation of the individual blind slats, then
      there are a number of ways to script this and one option might be
      to consider looking at the radiance program ranimate with the
      ANIMATE variable set to a script to rotates the slat geometry by a
      given increment or parameter, with this you could also change
      other scene conditions such as the position of the sun/sky
      condition. But this could also be done with the other scripting
      methods I indicate.
   3. Lastly you will need to figure out how to submit your radiance
      rendering job to the grid. Based on the information that you
      provide it is most likely that this would be done via "qsub" which
      is a job submital routine for Torque, which looks to be the
      queuing system for the cluster (Maui takes care of how the
      resources are actually allocated). Unfortunately this (job
      submittal with qsub) also requires some scripting, however there
      should be "howto" resources available from the system
      administrators of the cluster. Such a script will have parameters
      indicating what resources (nodes, cpus, cores and time are needed
      for the job) as well as what the job comprises. In this case you
      would probably want to script something that actually generates
      1200 separate "jobs" that can then be submitted individually to
      the cluster as resources become available. If you "owned" the
      cluster you would be able to do things more simply using ranimate
      to distribute the job over selected cluster nodes.

Regards,

-Jack de Valpine

--
# Jack de Valpine