[Radiance-general] Modeling glare from light fixtures

Randolph M. Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Mon May 16 08:24:53 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-16 06:32:41 -0700, Christopher Rush said:

> If you model estimated geometry surrounded by the "impostor surfaces,"
> would this impact your results depending on how you are estimating
> glare? If you use luminance for glare evaluation, do you get the
> luminance value of the faux luminaire geometry behind the illum
> "impostor surface" or do you get the luminance value of the IES illum?

Right.  Since what the rendering shows is the false luminaire geometry,
that's what a direct view of the luminaire will show.  So you would
have to use a straight "light," not an "illum," to get a calculation of
glare looking into the luminaire.  This will not produce a realistic
image, but I expect that, for a T5 fluorescent, it would produce a
useful glare calcuation.  As Lars points out, it probably won't be as
useful for LEDs fixture that allows for a direct view of many small
points of light.

I wonder if HDR images of an LED fixture would provide a useful basis
for glare calculation.  I suppose one could, if one had the resources,
move the camera around the luminaire, the way a photometer does, and
create multiple images which, if we had a way of getting those images
into Radiance, might provide a fairly accurate basis for glare
computation.

Randolph