[Radiance-general] error message "file coeff_perez.dat cannot be opened"

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Wed May 11 11:21:33 PDT 2011

2011/5/11 Sotiris Papantoniou <sotos.enveng at gmail.com>

> Hi Thomas,
>

> I am running Ubuntu 11.04 and I installed Radiance through Synaptic package
> manager

So I suspect that you have installed the incomplete package.

> I copied the “coeff_perez.dat” file but gendaylit again did not work
> because it could not access “defangle.dat”

Yes. That too was mentioned in the post I pointed you to.

I have now download the source code from the site but when I copy the file
> to /usr/share/radiance the file has an “X” on the top  right of its image.

Can you be more specific, please. I assume you are neither familiar with a
Unix/Linux system nor the command line. I also assume that you have unpacked
the source package and copied the two files "coeff_perez.dat" and
"defangle.dat" to /usr/share/radiance.

Now, if you still get errors it might be related to the permissions of those
two files (which might be indicated by the "X" you are referring to). Open a
console window and type the commands

sudo chmod 644 /usr/share/radiance/coeff_perez.dat
/usr/share/radiance/defangle.dat
sudo chown root:root /usr/share/radiance/coeff_perez.dat
/usr/share/radiance/defangle.dat

After the first command you will have to provide your password to get the
required privileges.

With this your Radiance installation should be complete.

Regards,
Thomas