[Radiance-general] Python module [was: Use Python to execute Radiance command]

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 23 11:59:39 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Aksel Gross <aksel at electricgobo.com> wrote:

> Some time ago i had a strong wish of having a Python wrapper for
> Radiance, but i could not find any, and i found the project to
> overwhelming to just start myself. Besides that i use Python
> merely for everyday scripting with 3d, so skillfully designing
> modules is a different cup of tea. Is there any fragment of a
> project like that around that i might have missed?

Late last year we had a discussion about a joint effort to produce something
like that. It didn't go very far, though. You can find posts in a Google
group dedicated to it here:

http://groups.google.com/group/python-radiance?lnk=srg

The consens was to focus on a light wrapper around the Radiance binaires and
not go into writing a proper C extension module. Python is mostly used as a
glue and control language and so full integration of Radiance is hardly
necessary.

I'm sure there are already a few implementations of a Radiance module
around, each written for a particular purpose. It would be nice if the
individual authors could contribute their parts and we could start
assembling a "reference" module.

Regards,
Thomas