[Radiance-general] Use Python to execute Radiance command

Ji Zhang hope.zh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:39:41 PDT 2011

Hi, Lars, Thanks a lot for your advice!

Yes, Dr Janssen is guiding us in a research project in which we try to
examine the environmental performance (view, daylight, insolation, energy
consumption, etc) of various high density building forms.

Houdini is used as a parametric modeling platform to create 3D models. But
it's strong customizability allows us to define our own toolset to perform
specific types of simulation tasks. Basically, these tools 1) retrieve the
3D model information and pass it to simulation software (e.g. Radiance,
EnergyPlus), 2) activate simulation software and feed in the parameters
required by the software, 3) retrieve the simulation results and bring the
date generated back to the 3D model for visualization and other analysis
purpose. So, Python is like a "glue" in this process that connects
parametric modeling software and simulation software, and Houdini is the
platform where we built tools and control panels to manipulate forms and
simulation processes. Radiance is used to simulate Sky View Factor, Daylight
Factor, and facade insolation. We're still working on key performance
indicators and benchmark values to be used to compare across cases, and
these indicators and benchmark values might be used to drive the design
optimization process.

Actually, Patrick will demo this workflow in a workshop in the upcoming CAAD
Future 2011 conference next month:
http://www.lucid.ulg.ac.be/conferences/caadfutures2011/Workshop3.html

Yes, Lars, I think you nurtured fans here in SDE, e.g. Daniel, who still
talks about your expertise in Radiance quite often. hehe.

- Cheers, Ji