[Radiance-general] Use Python to execute Radiance command

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Mon Jun 20 14:02:32 PDT 2011

Hi Ji!

> Thank you very much for your prompt advice! Seems I need to bear in mind
> that Radiance is developed in UNIX environment initially and a lot of
> UNIX conventions can be utilized.

I would advice to spend a week-end on unix useage. It is the base of
what can be done on any Linux/BSD/Solaris/Mac OS system these days, and
has been for the last 30 years, which is due to its rather generic
conceptual nature. Working with processes, inputs and outputs,
redirection, filters, is all very useful here and works on all
unix-based platforms.

> Actually, most of the questions I post here were derived in the learning
> process of connecting Houdini and Radiance (as well as other building
> performance simulation software) via the Python interface built into
> Houdini.
>
> Some of the work-in-progress can be found in Dr Janssen's teaching
> website: http://patrickjanssenstudio.blogspot.com/

Cool, thank you for sharing the link. Are you also going to use
simulation results as input for modeling, such as design optimization?
Maybe there will be some work shared on a coming Radiance workshop? Say
hello to SDE folks, Shinya is references on the blog, too :-)

Cheers, Lars.