[Radiance-general] rad -n and -N parameters / switches (was: how to use pfilt to perform anti-aliasing)

Ji Zhang hope.zh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 02:51:35 PDT 2011

Dear Lars,

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I've tried the "-N npr" option, and here's the error message i got when i
run "rad -N 6 ./test.rif" or "rad -N 4 ./test.rif" or "rad -N 2 ./test.rif":

rpiece: no NFS lock manager on this machine
rad: error rendering view 1

I don't know the meaning of the error message, and I found no information by
searching the email list.

However, It seems I can get rad up and running by using "rad -N 1
./test.rif" or just "rad ./test.rif".

I'm using a PC with Inter Core i7 CPU (8 cores, I guess based on what I see
on the task manager... )

So, can you kindly advice me on:
1. why the "-N 6" cann't be accepted when I want to utilize 6 of the 8 cores
of my CPU to speed up the rendering?
2. dose the npr means "number of processors/CPU" rather than "number of
cores within each CPU"?
3. how to specify rad options to harness multi-core CPU's capability?

Thanks!

Ji