[Radiance-general] rad -n and -N parameters / switches (was: how to use pfilt to perform anti-aliasing)

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Jun 16 02:18:26 PDT 2011

Hi!

> [ *-n|-N* *npr* ]
> 1. Does this mean the"-n"  and"-N npr"  options are mutually exclusive?

Somehow - if you do not do any processing (-n), no processes can be
started (-N npr)... somehow it is confusing, maybe separating the two in
the manpage would be clearer. -n also affects all other options in the
same way ;-)

> 2. Does"-N 3"  mean the task to generate an .hdr image will be split into 3 parallel rendering processes by Radiance behind the scene regardless of the number of CPUs and number of"cores"  within each CPU of the computer?

Radiance does not take your decisions. People on 4core-machines may have
good reasons to render on two (and keep the remaining two cores busy
with other tasks). So Radiance listens to you and will start as many
render processes as you specify by -N 3.

Cheers, Lars.

Note: I changed the subject line to match the topic.