[Radiance-general] First Timer: HELP ON RADIANCE INSTALLATION

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 18 11:09:03 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Greg Ward <gregoryjward at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, Thomas -- those are great directions for OSX.  I learned a new trick
> from them, myself.  I had nevr seen the plist stuff for Terminal.app.

Apparently it's only useful for Terminal.app. Applications that are started
via Finder (or the Dock) do not get this information. If you have a tool you
can use to verify this (a proper OS X *.app with some form of command line)
you can try and set a few environment variables and see if they are present
in the app.

I have to confess that I had to google for the the right place as well. All
my shell config files didn't contain the $PATH extension for Radiance so I
had to look somewhere else. I remembered the *.plist from way back when I
set up my first Mac. I must have done it again after I upgraded to 10.6,
though. I have my binaries in /usr/local and have no need for RAYPATH, but I
didn't want to expose Julitta to the file system innards of OS X.

I just wanted to add a note that Julitta may need to install the X11 and
> Developer Tools from the optional packages on her installation disks.  The
> system doesn't come with them installed by default.

I think X is standard now (since 10.5 or 10.6) and the dev tools shouldn't
be required.

Regards,
Thomas