[Radiance-general] Luminance to RGB

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Mon Jul 11 07:46:37 PDT 2011

Hi Chantal,

it would be great of we could point you to the book "Rendering with
Radiance", which has a chapter on material data aquisition.
Unfortunately it has been unavailable for a while, and you need a lot of
luck to find an old copy in some library. Maybe you still try.

You question was not 100% clear to me as what data you have:

> of materials (RGB plus roughness and specularity). If I want to simulate
> an existing material in Radiance I need to
> decompose it in the 3 primary colours.

You need that ONLY if you are interested in color in your simulation
results, too. Photometric units are typically not aware of color
(luminance, illuminance) as they are the weighted integral over the
perceived wavelength range of light.

> As I understand Radiance uses Hemispherical Reflectance (ratio of flux
> leaving the surface to the incident flux). I have this
> data from the site...but how to get it to RGB in the case that I dont
> have an spectrophotometer to measure. One way I know
> could be using a grey scale chart, but then I also need to know under
> which light source were those reflectances calculated
> in order to compare them to my luminances.

You should compare your grey chart with the sample under daylight or
incadescent lighting condition. As long as you have a continous source
spectrum, the grey chart should(!) perform rather stable, and unless you
use a green LED to lid your sample :-) you should get acceptable
results. Keep in mind that the idea is not to get reflectance data in
high accuracy ranges, but to find out whether your wall is bouncing back
light more like 30 or more like 60% here...

You should take a grey chart with you. In many cases, there is measured
data available by manufacturers, so it is always a good idea to take
your notebook and write down any material/product information on site.
One other way is to try using calibrated photographs (there is a tool
called macbethcal coming with Radiance) if you have a color chart. This
is useful if you need color and not just integrated reflectance. Still
take the chart and write down a rough guess of the reflectance and
compare to what you get from your calibration efforts.

The objective of all this is
> to obtain illuminance calculations.

Again - for this, you typically need no color information, just
reflectance - all surfaces will be grey, all sources white.

Cheers, Lars.