[Radiance-general] 3ds Max -> sketchup -> su2rad ?

Claus Brøndgaard Madsen cbm at create.aau.dk
Mon Jan 17 13:07:27 PST 2011

Hi y'all,

I've grown tired of looking at boxes and spheres as test objects in my renderings ... so I wish to model in 3ds Max, import into SketchUp, and export from there to radiance format using the su2rad plugin.

At first I was ambitious and tested with a complicated sculpture I had in .max format, but soon I started testing with a simple 1x1x2 meter box. I model it in Max, save it in .3ds format, and import into SketchUp. The import works although there is a scale issue ... once imported the box is 0.025x0.025x0.05 meters, but that is easy to fix.

When I use the su2rad plugin to export to radiance files I get an xform error unless I use the "by group" mode and tick the "global coords" option. On the other hand, if I use the global cords option I don't get any geometry exported. After export the export directory looks like this:

Ambfiles
Images
Logfiles
Luminaires
Octrees
Skies

(those are all directories, of which Views contain a valid .vf file with correct info, and luminaires contain a .ies file which I am not going to need ... all other directories are empty)

... and then two files:
Box.rad
Materials.rad

Materials.rad contain a generic plastic material (diffuse, reflectance 0.4 0.4 0.4).

Box.rad looks like this:

!xform skies/Boulder_CO_1108_1330.sky
!xform ./materials.rad
!ies2rad -s -m 0.800000 -t default -o luminaires/skp5030 luminaires/skp5030.ies | xform -n group

That's it.

If I model something (e.g., a box) directly in SketchUp the export seems to work fine.

Anyone else having experiences with something like this?

Best,
Claus