[Radiance-general] Printing man pages on a Mac on US-sized paper

Randolph M. Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Wed Jan 5 15:43:09 PST 2011

> groff -Tps -P-pletter -mandoc -c `man -w rtcontrib` > t.ps

This also needs a "-dpaper=letter" to get the typography correct; the
paper size is set in two places, and both have to be touched.

> man -t rtcontrib | open -f -a /Applications/Preview.app/

I didn't know that open can accept input from the standard input!  (And
it's not documented in the general case, only for text files.)  This
will produce an a4-size page, though.  Preview will stretch and squash
it for printing.

I think the following command is an improvement on all three methods.
It creates the typeset document correctly and does not require a change
to system files.

> groff -Tps -mandoc -c -dpaper=letter -P-pletter `man -w rtcontrib` |
> open -f -a Preview

Wish this stuff just worked.

Randolph

Back to the bit mines...