[Radiance-general] Simulating rooms with blinds: performance

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 12:50:05 PST 2011

Hi Randolph,

Depending on whether you need to compute the direct component precisely or not, the optimal calculation of a space with venetian blinds is going to come from rtcontrib or mkillum with a BSDF file describing the blinds.  If you use genBSDF to create this file, the geometry is inserted into the final model using mkillum.  If you don't care so much about the direct component (sunlight passing between the slats onto interior surfaces), then rtcontrib will be much faster if you are computing many time points.  My feeling is that this should work well enough for glare evaluations.

Cheers,
-Greg