[Radiance-general] Simulating rooms with blinds: performance

Randolph M. Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Wed Jan 5 11:34:22 PST 2011

I've been working with a simple model for glare studies, based on an
LBL test room with blinds.  The results are looking pretty good, but as
soon as I put the blinds into the model, single-case simulation times
went up to 2.5-3.5 hours.  Does anyone have any feeling for these
times?  Are they reasonable for a naïve model or too high?  The
processor used is a quad-core AMD Opteron 2376 (2300 MHz) and I've been
using Delaunay's implementation of the Perez sky model, gendaylit, and
calculating five ambient bounces.

Possible lines of attack on the problem:
-- Using genBSDF/mkillum (suggested by a colleague.)
-- Simplify the blind model; use flat rather than curved slats.
-- Review the rtrace parameters I am using.  I'm rereading John
Mardaljevic's chapter in RwR on Daylight Simulation, looking for hints,
but Mardaljevic (are you out there?) was primarily working with
overcast skies, which aren't adequate for glare models, so I'm not sure
how much of his advice still applies.  I'm also going to be sweeping
the archives of this mailing list for ideas.

Anyone have additional suggestions?  Any thoughts on which to try
first?  Are there particular articles it might be helpful to look at?
Randolph M. Fritz • RFritz at lbl.gov
Environmental Energy Technologies Division • Lawrence Berkeley Labs