[Radiance-general] Sunlight hours calculation in radiance

Giovanni Betti gbetti at fosterandpartners.com
Tue Feb 15 02:50:40 PST 2011

Dear List,

I was wondering if anybody could give me a hint on how to solve the
following problem: how to calculate sunlight hours hitting a surface
using Radiance.
My hunch is to use a modified version of gensky with -B set to 0 (no
diffuse component) and -R set to 1/179 and of course as many calls of
gensky as required to cover all the sunlight hours in the time period I
am interested in.
Of course it is a brute force approach but as I am just interested in
'hit or miss' type of results and -ab would beset to 0 it still seems
pretty fast.
The problem that I face is that each ray is weighted based on the angle
of incidence with the target surface. Is there a way of forcing radiance
to return only a yes/no type of value?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best,

Giovanni