[Radiance-general] HEAD version?

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Feb 2 16:02:39 PST 2011

Same for me, everytime I hear about any important improvement, I update head, typically 2,3 times a year. Plus keeping installed some old versions for specific needs. My /opt contains usually head, stable, pmap releases.

Besides guru or not:

1) Radiance ecosystem keeps users informed on bugfixes at almost real-time, making them want to update and not wait for releases.

2) There are no pure bugfixes for a release, so it is not possible to avoid version changes anyways. That makes it little attractive to follow conservative strategies such as keeping a stable release updated only with bugfixes and wait with feature updates - the bugfixes come with updates only. And then, why wait for a release tag...

3) Binaries on my 64bit ubuntu kept surprising me, and if I have to compile myself, I cannot keep away from fresh sources :-)

--
Dipl.-Ing. Architect Lars O. Grobe