[Radiance-general] Three-Phase Method - subdivision of window with sensor located close to the window

Anne Iversen iversen.anne at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 08:48:40 PDT 2011

Hi list - Hope you have time to give me some guidance here :-)

My question is if any of you have any recommendations or thoughts on how I
should or shouldn't subdivide the window?

*Problem:*

I have a scene with a sensor located close to the window. The window is
placed in y=0.82, and the sensor is located in y=0.84, just behind the
window. Due to the sensor location this close to the window I’m thinking I
have to subdivide the window to get a correct sensor reading, especially
when solar shading is included in my simulations.

I have run simulations for 4 different cases with different subdivisions of
the window. The transmission matrix is an .xml file generated with window6
for a clear window. Nothing special here, yet! In further simulations I’ll
introduce solar shading.
My simulation results show that the sensor signal differs with the different
subdivisions.

You can see the results and subdivision of window in this link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9713279/ThreePhaseMethod_Subdivision.pdf

And my script if necessary, in this link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9713279/threephasemethod.bash

Thanks in advance,
Anne