[Radiance-general] Re: Python Radiance Package

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 8 08:58:45 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Greg Ward <gregoryjward at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, it sounds like there is significant groundswell around this idea.
> I suggest that interested parties/developers organize a host site for
> this effort and someone (Dave?) take charge of the project.

Google code projects are easy to set up and almost everyone
in this thread already has a gmail account. It may be more difficult
to find a source control system that everybody agrees on ...

> Ongoing maintenance is something to think about as well,
> as new Radiance releases will likely continue to have some
> minor changes and some major additions.

Since everybody is happy with a simple 'subprocess' wrapper
around the Radiance binaries there shouldn't be much ongoing
maintenance. Python 2 vs 3 is more likely to cause additional
work than the Radiance interface.

However, I can see that an additional advantage of this project
could be that the remaining CSH scripts (and possibly Perl scripts)
in the main Radiance distribution get finally pythonized. In that
case should the new scripts be kept separately or should they
find their way back into the distribution?

Thomas