[Radiance-general] Diffuse reflectance measurements and GretagMacbeth ColorChecker reflectance values

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Nov 4 02:12:55 PDT 2010

Hi Ilya!

> 1. Is there way to estimate diffuse reflectance without using of
> integrating sphere? Also, to some extent, can the reflectance measured
> under overcast sky conditions be referred to as diffuse reflectance?

Yes, the integrating sphere is only one possible instrument. "Diffuse
reflectance" is usually referring to direct-hemispherical reflectance
without whatever is defined as specular. The problem with turning it the
way that you measure it as hemispherical-direct (incident light over
hemisphere, measured at perpendicular angle) is that you must know the
BRDF, and as far as I understand the idea, would need a uniform
hemispherical source (overcast is non-uniform). A small integrating
sphere is not all that expensive, by the way...

> 2. How do you calibrate your CCD cameras for taking luminance measurements?

Again - using an integrating sphere, a stabilized light source, and a
calibrated detector as a reference. One example where we did that was
presented at the Radiance Workshop in 2008:

http://www.radiance-online.org/radiance-workshop7/Content/Jacobs/jacobs-fribourg2008d.pdf

> 3. With uncalibrated camera, I guess the reflectance values can be
> estimated using HDR shots of GretagMacbeth ColorChecker chart as
> reference. The ColorChecker chart's reflectance values are known, right?
> So, it is possible to compare the values from the shot of a sample
> against the values from the shot of the chart to estimate the
> reflectance of the sample?! But where can I get the GretagMacbeth
> ColorChecker Rendition chart's RGB reflectance values? I wonder if
> anyone have measured them?!

They are printed on its back, and you can assume the chart to be a nice
diffuse surface. However, the pixel values in you picture represent
luminance (or radiance), not reflectance!

> 4. What are in the "macbeth_spec.hdr" and "macbeth_pub.hdr" files? What
> data are in these files?

I think the spec-file is the reference giving the chart, while the
pub-chart may be used for calculations, but I am not sure now. The image
files are used for macbethcal-"calibrations".

> 5. Having estimated BRDF for a particular material sample can we
> estimate the material's diffuse reflectance?

If you have measured the BRDF (which is done using other instruments
then an integrating sphere, and a bit more complicated), you can derive
the diffuse reflectance by integrating the transmission hemisphere's
data and substracting the integral of the specular range. If you start
with estimating a BRDF, I have my doubts that you will end up with
correct values. Using a grey-chart and comparing using you eyes may be
more promising. But maybe you do both and compare your results.

Cheers, Lars.