[Radiance-general] Diffuse reflectance measurements and GretagMacbeth ColorChecker reflectance values

Ilya A. Zimnovich webmaster at audice.com
Wed Nov 3 12:14:30 PDT 2010

Dear mailing list members,

I have been experimenting with our new scientific grade CCD camera which
I suppose can be used as an imaging photometer. Yes, after some
extensive calibration!

I would like to take some measurements of diffuse reflectance. The
classical setup will require an integrating sphere. Well... the
University I work at will not afford such an expensive device. I'm sure
there would be another way to estimate it. I guess it is possible to
acquire BRDF and to make some diffuse reflectance estimation?

Below are my questions:

1. Is there way to estimate diffuse reflectance without using of
integrating sphere? Also, to some extent, can the reflectance measured
under overcast sky conditions be referred to as diffuse reflectance?

2. How do you calibrate your CCD cameras for taking luminance measurements?

3. With uncalibrated camera, I guess the reflectance values can be
estimated using HDR shots of GretagMacbeth ColorChecker chart as
reference. The ColorChecker chart's reflectance values are known, right?
So, it is possible to compare the values from the shot of a sample
against the values from the shot of the chart to estimate the
reflectance of the sample?! But where can I get the GretagMacbeth
ColorChecker Rendition chart's RGB reflectance values? I wonder if
anyone have measured them?!

4. What are in the "macbeth_spec.hdr" and "macbeth_pub.hdr" files? What
data are in these files?

5. Having estimated BRDF for a particular material sample can we
estimate the material's diffuse reflectance?

Thanks,
Ilya