[Radiance-general] dumping xglaresrc result to a file

Thu May 27 05:25:40 PDT 2010

Thomas,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am trying to avoid the first option that you suggested below. I get
the impression that it is more difficult. Can you elaborate further?

I tried your suggestion to use xwd. The problem with this route is that
both the ximage (which is called by xglaresrc) and the xwd are
interactive programs. We end up trying to automate something that is
interactive.

The catch is how to select the window to be dumped. The xwd by default
asks the user to click on the window to be dumped. I tried to use the
HDR file name as the window_name and pass it to xwd. Something like:

$ xwd -name sc01jd_view.hdr -out sc01jd_view.xwd

It works but (1) it assumes that no other window is on top of this
window and (2) it captures what is displayed. The first catch means that
we cannot do anything else on the computer while the script is working.
The second catch means that if the xglaresrc picture is bigger than the
monitor (e.g. netbook screen) the picture is actually cut.

For now, I think I can live with that.

Thanks,

Ery