[Radiance-general] LEED modeling

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Tue May 25 11:46:39 PDT 2010

Hi Cramer,

I've done a fair amount of daylight modeling for LEED
certification/documentation -- more than I'd like to have done, honestly!
At my last job, we would use the glazing factor method if the spaces were
simple enough, and rely on Radiance models for the more complicated
designs. There are spaces that are simply not supported by the glazing
factor method, and then you need to rely on better tools like Radiance or
AGi32 to do the required simulations.

The sky condition is, admittedly, a gross simplification. Better than
daylight factors for predominantly clear climates, though. But you're
right, neither are really adequate for quantifying the daylighting on an
annual basis. Hopefully the emerging tools in Radiance v4.x, and planned
improvements to AGi32, will provide more thorough climate based daylight
modeling capability to more users, and that this practice will find its
way into the emerging daylight quantity and quality metrics, and building
rating systems.

- Rob G.