[Radiance-general] Re: trans dashboard widget

Andy McNeil amcneil at lbl.gov
Thu May 6 10:23:34 PDT 2010

Hi Chris,

This depends on the level of accuracy you need...

For blinds, in the past I've made a crude approximation using manufacturer's reported normal incidence data: http://www.hexcelscreen.com/xlscreen/index.htm
Ts = openfactor
Td = Tv - openfactor

However I've since learned that the typical measuring process does not measure the hemispherical transmission (the light exiting in all directions) but just the light exiting in the specular direction.  So light transmission is under represented, especially for lighter colored fabrics.

Way back when Rob G. had a measurement procedure to measure exiting light at many angles for diffuse glazing samples.   Greg provided a method for fitting trans to the measured data:
http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2004-January/001415.html

If you want the manufacturer to provide test data there is a european standard that describes a blind measurement procedure for hemispherical transmission.  I don't know the standard number, but perhaps someone else on the list knows what it is?  This procedure only measures values for normal incidence though.

For the most accurate result at all incident angles you may need to abandon trans for mkillum with the new BSDF feature.

Hope that helps.
Andy