[Radiance-general] Hello Greg,

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 9 01:56:24 PST 2010

Hi Terrance.

Since I upgraded to Snow Leopard I had various problems with compiling
my own binaries. Luckily, Radiance's makeall script works fine,
although I only use them on my machine.

With Snow Leopard Apple switched to gcc 4.2 and a few new core
technologies under the hood.

To produce binaries that run on 10.4 you have to install the 10.4u SDK
component of Xcode. To use it you have to set the "-isysroot" option
in gcc.

You have to use gcc 4.0 as compiler, not gcc 4.2. I think it also only
works if you produce 32bit binaries (which you would want to do
anyway).

Plus there are probably a number of other things. I recently found
that I couldn't run an application because OS X 10.5 needs to be at
the right patch level ...

All in all I now think that it is safest to compile on a 10.4 system.
This will run on 10.5 and 10.6 but is much less hassle to set up.

Just my less-than-2c,

Thomas