[Radiance-general] rtcontrib and rtrace-parameters

Martin Klingler martin at lichttechnik.co.at
Sat Mar 6 09:37:45 PST 2010

Dear radiance gurus,

based on Axel´s extremely helpful tutorial, I started to use rtcontrib. At the end of the day the target is annual daylight simulation, but at the moment there are questions quite at the beginning.
I have a small test room, quite similar to Axel´s without any sun protection. I did two rtrace runs for clear sky conditions. The first sky (k4) gives direct sun for the first two measurement points, with the second sky (k5) there is no sun entering the room.
For the rtcontrib run I use reinhart.cal and compared two MF-settings (2 and 4). The rtrace-options are -ab 6 -ad 4096 -as 2048 -aa 0 -dj 1 -lw 2e-10.
With this settings I get the distributions in Graph1 http://www.meinalbum.at/Foto-LRSDFU3V-D.jpg
To get the distribution I use genskyvec.
Additional I did some rtrace runs with the same options und compared the results for sky k4 in the second graph http://www.meinalbum.at/Foto-CKMDQR4R-D.jpg

To this results the are some questions:
1.) Are this useful rtrace-options, am I on the right track?
2.) What can I do, to get closer to the rtrace-results?
3.) MF=2 seems to get smoother results, than MF=4 - dose that make sense?
4.) Can I reduce the differences between different rtrace-runs with the identical options?

Any comments are very appreciated.

Thank you
Martin Klingler