[Radiance-general] "Rendering with Radiance" (non-)availability

Bernd Zeimetz bernd at bzed.de
Sat Jul 24 16:40:58 PDT 2010

Hi,

are there any news on that? Would be great to have the book available again! If
issues with printers are a problem (issues != legal stuff) I'm willing to help.
There are various places which sell PDF documentation and printed books about
open source software and I'm sure they would be willing to help. Unfortunately I
know nothing about what to do with/against booksurge - as it seems they're owned
by amazon now: http://www.booksurge.com/ and you should be able to transition
your books over to amazon/createspace:
https://www.createspace.com/Special/L/TransitionGuide.jsp?ref=459373&utm_id=4985

Maybe that helps.

Cheers,

Bernd

On 03/07/2010 06:40 PM, Greg Ward wrote:
> This is one of those recurring conversations, and I know it must seem
> incredible that we haven't managed to sort this out in all the time
> we've had to spend on it.  The fact is, all of us have day jobs, and no
> one knows how publishing works (other than the publishers).  Creating a
> new printing of a book, even a reprinting, somehow requires small,
> meaningless (to us) changes in the ISBN and/or Library of Congress
> number, which we don't know how to do.  Rob Shakespeare has lined up a
> new printer, but they need to secure the rights from the old printer,
> and none of us are sure what's going on with that, either.
>
> I'll use this as a reminder to get on it again, and if we can't resolve
> it by Summer, I think we'll just release the PDF to the world and solve
> it that way.  It's my least favorite solution, but at least it is a
> solution.
>
> Best,
> -Greg
>
>> From: Rob Guglielmetti <rpg at rumblestrip.org>
>> Date: March 7, 2010 7:04:37 AM PST
>>
>> Hi Lars,
>>
>> This has been a problem for a while, as you know. A grand for a used
>> copy on Amazon now, eh? WOW. Last time I checked, people were asking
>> ~$300 for a copy, but that was years ago. I feel old, because I bought
>> my copy of RwR by plucking a freshly-published copy off the shelf at
>> my local bookstore a few blocks from work, but this was in nineteen
>> ninety-(cough)! =8-)
>>
>> Seriously, the issue in the past is that Greg and Charles Ehrlich's
>> supreme efforts were thwarted by what seemed to be a lousy
>> print-on-demand publisher they secured a few years ago. I know they
>> were going to look into other publishers and I think that hard copy
>> was the way they wanted to work it. I do not know if they are close to
>> finding a new publisher.
>>
>> On Mar 7, 2010, at 1:24 AM, Lars O. Grobe wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to draw your attention to the fact that the main
>>> reference for Radiance is not available. The cheapest price for
>>> "Rendering with Radiance" at amazon.com as of today is 1000$ for a
>>> used copy. Booksurge gives 0 results on a search. I wonder whether
>>> making the book available as a paid pdf would not be better then not
>>> having it at all. This is a big problem for application of the
>>> software, as anyone using it gets pointed to this book as a
>>> reference, but no one could buy it. I have been trying to buy a copy
>>> for an institute here for one year without any success. Besides
>>> preventing potential users from starting with Radiance, this
>>> increases the amount of beginners questions, that had been answered
>>> in the book.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Lars.

 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79
                   ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F