[Radiance-general] Fedora 12+gcc 4.4.4 performance

Mark Stock mstock at umich.edu
Thu Jul 15 09:39:57 PDT 2010

Radiance folks,

I'd like to share a recent surprising result. Upgrading from gcc
4.3.2 to 4.4.4 resulted in a ~7-15% performance boost for the
Radiance benchmark test on my AMD Phenom system. If you have a
similar software/hardware setup as me, and the ability to upgrade
your compiler to gcc 4.4.4, I'd strongly suggest doing so. Also,
if you have the time to run the benchmark, I'd like to add your
results to the database:

http://markjstock.org/pages/rad_bench.html

My system:
AMD Phenom 9850 (4 core at 2.5 GHz)
Fedora 12, gcc 4.4.4
Radiance 4.0 (April) built with
-O2 -ffast-math -funroll-loops

Fun fact: the two benchmarks vary in difficulty by 26.6x, so we
can calculate that an 8-core Xeon system from 2008 runs Radiance
almost 1000x faster than the oldest computer that I've
benchmarked: a 133MHz K-5 in 1999.

Mark