[Radiance-general] window glass modeling

Marija Velickovic maricanis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 00:32:09 PST 2010

Hi,

> This is the only optimization you need, together with helping out Radiance
> by
> > pre-calculating the distribution behind the shading using mkillum.
> > I'd propose that you just start with a simple case, e.g. the glazing
> without
> > blinds, set up the rendering procedure (e.g. a script or Makefile),
> render
> > illuminance on a work plane (maybe you put a desk surface into your
> model)
> > using rpict -i and get the sensor points' illuminances using rtrace -I.
> Once
> > you have completed that, there will be a better understanding of the more
> > complicated tasks, and you will know how Radiance works in your case. It
> is
> > difficult to solve all questions in advance, better get the hands on this
> > nice simulation toolbox and your model :-)
> > And always feel free to ask if you face unexpected behaviour by the
> software.
>
> Please, can you explain me this: "render illuminance on a work plane (maybe
> you
> put a desk surface into your model) using rpict -i".

To render illuminance on a work plane, no need to input additional desk
geometry into the scene. Everything you add in the scene has influence on
light distribution and calculation time, so it is better to avoid adding of
furniture geometry.
You can define sensor point on the workplane area  (for example on height
0.8m from the floor level), and all points should be oriented towards up in
format: xorg yorg zorg xdir ydir zdir, one point per line. Example:
0 0 0.8 0 0 1
0 1 0.8 0 0 1

Then for created octree and these set of points (save points in some file),
you use rtrace -I option to calculate illuminance.
Here is example command
rtrace -I+ -h- -oov -ab 3 -ad 2048 -as 512 -aa 0.05 -av 0 0 0 -ar 100
room.oct < sensors.txt | rcalc -e "$1=$1; $2=$2; $3=$3;
$4=(0.67*$4+0.265*$5+0.065*$6)*179"  >illuminance.txt

So rtrace command above calculates irradiance for sensor points defined in
"sensors.txt". Then you pipe it to rcalc to convert it to illuminance.

You have similar method in dayfact.csh script (included in Radiance
distribution), so you can explore it.

Hope this helps,
Marija