[Radiance-general] about wxfalsecolor problem

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 15 09:16:42 PST 2010

Mehmedalp

Since we're a bit out of ideas here could you post the output of the getinfo
command for both pictures. That might help us understand what happened to
the images.

After reading your initial email again I found one other possible reason:

wxfalsecolor ignores pixels with red value of 0. Due to the limitations of
the RGBE image format a value of 0 in one channel means a black pixel. In
real live black pixels do not exist and are therefore ignored when an
average is calculated. This was done to allow a rectangular selection over a
masked image area without the mask contributing to the average.

You can see if a pixel contributes by moving the mouse over the image after
you have loaded the data (happens automatically for small images). If you
see an r,g,b value next to pixel position in the status bar the pixel does
count. If it's a black pixel it will show only the position.

So if your averaged area contains black regions these regions will be
ignored by wxfalsecolor but will count as 0 in ximage or Photosphere. This
might account for wxfalsecolor reporting a larger value than Photosphere.

I really should document these things someday ...

Regards,
Thomas