[Radiance-general] glaze script limitation

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Wed Dec 15 08:59:35 PST 2010

Hi Francois,

As Greg pointed out, using different clear glass specifications for each
layer would really complicate things. Note the "clear" glass
specification is really to establish a default reflectance and
transmittance for the uncoated faced in the system. Color, Rf, Rb and
Transmittance are derived from the other specifications (eg for SunGuard
Ag 43 or SunGuard SN 62) in this case. Have you tried defining a
material based on the exported data from Optics?

Here is what I did:

Export individually from Optics:

SGAG43Y6.grd (3156)
SGSN62C6.grd (3116)
Clear_60.GRD (3016)

Then get photopic T, Rf and Rb for reference from Optics 5 for the whole
IGU:

    Rf = .178
    Rb = .107
    T = .228

Note that the script (optics2glazedb) is very strict on formatting. So
the naming in Clear_60.rad:

    Clear_60_glass
    Clear_60_front
    Clear_60_back

needs to have the first "_" removed to result in:

    Clear60_glass
    Clear60_front
    Clear60_back

I suppose this could easily enough be fixed with a call to awk or perl
to fix this type of thing on the fly.

Now with Clear_60 fixed do:

    optics2glazedb Clear_60.rad SGAG43Y6.rad SGSN62C6.rad > francois.db

Now run glaze:

    glaze -f francois.db

    build a 2 pane system as follows:

       1. Clear60
       2. SGAG43Y6
       3. SGSN62C6
       4. Clear60

This results in the following definition:

    # Glazing produced by Radiance glaze script
    # $Revision: 2.8 $
    # Loaded: francois.db
    # Wed Dec 15 11:14:23 EST 2010
    # Material surface normal points to interior
    # Number of panes in system: 2
    # Exterior surface s1 type: Clear60
    # Inner surface s2 type: SGAG43Y6
    # Inner surface s3 type: SGSN62C6
    # Interior surface s4 type: Clear60
    # Exterior normal hemispherical reflectance: 0.177978104
    # Interior normal hemispherical reflectance: 0.108662425
    # Normal hemispherical transmittance: 0.225458181
    #
    void BRTDfunc francois
    10
    if(Rdot,cr(fr(0.052),ft(0.664),fr(0.083)),cr(fr(0.145),ft(0.295),fr(0.036)))
    if(Rdot,cr(fr(0.076),ft(0.708),fr(0.067)),cr(fr(0.177),ft(0.339),fr(0.076)))
    if(Rdot,cr(fr(0.11),ft(0.604),fr(0.162)),cr(fr(0.211),ft(0.333),fr(0.113)))
    ft(0.664)*ft(0.295)
    ft(0.708)*ft(0.339)
    ft(0.604)*ft(0.333)
         0 0 0
         glaze2.cal
    0
    9
         0 0 0
         0 0 0
         0 0 0

Although I am not sure what kind of rounding error is acceptable in this
case, the hemispherical front/back reflectances and transmittance seem
to be well in the ballpark. If you want to go further you can look at
color, reflectance, and transmittance with a simple scene using a glow
source with unit radiance (eg 1 1 1). Doing this yields measures  as
follows:

    Rf = .181
    Rb = .109
    T = .227

So here is what we get in summary:

	Optics Calculated
	Radiance Glaze Calculated
	Radiance Rpict Measured
Rf
	.178
	.178
	.181
Rb
	.107
	.109
	.109
	.228
	.225
	.227

A further piece of information that might be interesting is to obtain
the manufacturers calculated photopic Rf, Rb, and T for the system. I
have noticed that there can be small discrepancies between performance
data on sites and what Optics calculates.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

-Jack de Valpine

--