[Radiance-general] rtcontrib output crashes preview, finder

Andy McNeil amcneil at lbl.gov
Fri Dec 10 15:13:21 PST 2010

Hi John,

I find that completely black hdr images consistently crash preview.  It will also crash finder if you use finder in one of the modes that show a preview of the image like cover flow or the columns.

Also, I've never been able to get Axel's command for random color images to work on a mac the way it is written in the tutorial.  When I try it rcalc waits patiently for input that doesn't exist.  But you can't add -n because then recno is invalid.  If you give it simple input using cnt (ie. cnt 1 | rcalc ) it doesn't work because all the values are seeded with the same number (recno is 1 every time).  Instead I used the $RANDOM variable to seed rcalc's rand function like so:

pcomb $(for i in {000..145}; do \
		echo "-c $(echo $RANDOM | rcalc -e '$1=rand($1);$2=rand($1+.3);$3=rand($1+.7)') \
		images/patches/p$(printf "%03d" $i).hdr"; done)>  images/sky_colourcomb.hdr

Admittedly this solution is not elegant.  If it's elegance we're after we could use the new capability in dctimestep (which wasn't available when Axel wrote his tutorial):
cnt 145 | rcalc -e '$1=rand(recno);$2=rand(recno+.3);$3=rand(recno+.7)' | dctimestep images/patches/p%03d.hdr >  images/sky_colourcomb.hdr

Best,
Andy