[Radiance-general] Reduce rtrace runtime

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 18:55:29 PDT 2010

Computing seven bounces (-ab 7) is very expensive, even for a small number of points.  You end up filling the indirect irradiance cache, which takes some time even on 4 processors.  I would recommend either reducing the number of bounces, or taking advantage of a path tracing approach like so:

	rtrace -w -h -I -ab 7 -n 4  -ad 2048 -as 0 -aa 0 -lw 1e-5 -lr -10 -u+ office.oct < points.inp

Setting -aa 0 and -lw 1e-4 limits the number of paths to roughly 100,000 per point, which should run pretty quickly while maintaining accuracy.

Best,
-Greg