[Radiance-general] getting irradiance from source defined in photometric units

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Oct 7 01:07:19 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to get the irradiance [W/m2] on an object surface by a HMI
source with a known cd-distribution which I was able to get from a plot
(I read the values [cd] from the polar plot, made a IES-formatted
luminaire description of it and converted this using ies2rad). I had put
"metal halide" into the [LAMP]-line of the ies, in the hope that
radiance would match the HMI-type then.

Now I am wondering how to interpret the results. In general, I would
assume the results of a Radiance simulation to be in W/m2, and the
conversion to happen at the beginning, so in the lamp.tab-look-up by
ies2rad in my case. So am I correct using the results without further
conversion, and having -m 1 -l W/m2 as falsecolor's parameters?

Thank you, cheers

Lars.